Friday, May 27, 2011

Lydia's Cake

This is the cake I decided to make for Lydia at the last minute. Last year I practiced for weeks trying to make the perfect ladybug cake and ended up ordering it from HyVee! This year I wasn't going to make a cake at all, but decided to try to find something fairly easy and cute, this is what I came up with.

I found the original idea on the Family Fun website.



I made a few modifications, and this is the finished product...



I made a double layer round instead of rectangular. I used M&M's instead of Sprees. And I had to make it pink for my girlie girl. I thought about making it white but I use butter in my icing which makes it kind of yellowish, so it doesn't look as nice to leave it white. I do have a recipe for nice white icing, but it uses Crisco and I don't like the taste of it nearly as well.


I also found this great tip for making a level cake. I usually just trim off the dome, but I knew there had to be a way to make it flat, and this is what I found out. If you wrap a wet towel around the outside of the pan the cake turns out flat! It really does work. I didn't do any trimming of this cake and it's almost totally flat. There is a slight bit of a dome that I could have trimmed off, but I didn't really care, so I didn't mess with it.

No comments: