Sunday, May 13, 2012

Questions

I have been struggling lately with the fact that I sometimes feel like I treat friends, acquaintances and even compete strangers better than I treat my own children. (although I don't hug and kiss complete strangers nearly as much as I hug and kiss my kids:)  It seems like my frustration, my impatience, all of my UGLY comes out with them, at them, to them, around them...you get the point.  And I keep asking myself, "why?"  It really is a serious issue that has been on my mind and my heart as I'm striving to put my faith into action at all times, and to walk by the Spirit, and just generally live a life that is pleasing to God.  As this battle goes on in my mind as to why I struggle in my mothering relationship more than any other relationship this article about working vs. stay-at-home parents came to my mind.  It's a funny answer to a very serious question, but I think it sums it up well.  The reason I don't struggle in my other relationships the way I struggle in my relationship with my kids is because THEY ARE KIDS, there is no adult relationship that compares.  I came across the above article quite a while ago, but I saved it and read it pretty often and I still laugh every time I read it.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Very timely post. Just last night I was feeling guilty that on mother's day I was not 100% into mothering with a 100% positive attitude. I felt bad that my tone with Evy is often short and frustrated. She is so demanding, so slow at every task, and so high maintenance ALL. DAY. LONG that I lose my patience. This article is so funny because it points out that we are not in a mature relationship with our kids. Thanks for sharing!