Friday, May 4, 2012

Attitude Check

I had to laugh as I got onto my blog page to start this post. Delighted? Today is one of those days I just don't feel very delighted. Of course, my delight and my hope are in the Lord daily, but on an earthly level...not feeling so delighted. It has been one of those days that you feel like taking a day off from being a mother. Where nothing specific is getting on your nerves, but EVERYTHING is getting on your nerves. The kids don't take a nap, they refuse to use their 'inside' voices and obedience is like a foreign concept to them. And obedience with a good attitude? Forget it. But how can I really expect them to have a good attitude when their mother has THE. WORST. ATTITUDE. of anyone in the house. If their behavior is reflective, in any way, of my own behavior, then I definitely need a time out!

Some days I feel like I'm not cut out for this mothering thing, that I don't have what it takes. Of course, this is a lie I choose to believe. Because I know that GOD gave me these children and started preparing me before they were even born, to make me into the person He wants me to be in order to make them into the into the people He wants them to be. Such a high calling. That requires sacrifice. That requires selflessness. That requires SO much patience. That is so much more important than whether or not the dishes and laundry are done.

So, how do you do it? On days when you really don't feel like doing it. When you really feel like you don't know how to do it. When it's all you can do to control their behavior, let alone shepherd their hearts.  Ask God. If any of you lacks wisdom he should ask God, who gives generously to all, without finding fault, and it will be given to him. James 1:5. Oh, Lord, give me wisdom, give me patience and love for my children that only comes from you, not by my strength, but by Yours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I just saw it today when you posted it on FB. What a great way to share with others what is going on in your lives! I just may have to do this..... :)

Christy (Barker) Wiley
Keosauqua, IA