Monday, October 10, 2011

I'm a Cyclone

Down here in "Hawkeye Country" I get a considerable amount of grief for being a Cyclone, espcially during college football season. The reason I am a Cyclone has nothing to do with game scores or season records. (If this were the case I must admit that I would have to be a Hawkeye fan.)

So, why do I continue to wear my cardinal and gold proud while swimming in a sea of black and gold?

Because of the many perfect fall Saturdays days I spent at Jack Trice Stadium cheering on my team.

Because of the many Saturday evenings I spent cleaning the stadium after the 50,000 plus fans had all gone home.

Because I've stood in the sky box looking out over a quiet, dark staduim and watched snow falling softly onto the field.

Because during my years as a Cyclone I was just...me. Before I was Kirby's wife, before I was Clae or Lydia's mommy(not that these are bad things), I was just me. My whole life was before me. While I love the security of knowing how it all turns out, I loved to anticipation of not knowing, of dreaming about what my future might hold.

Because during that time I made some of the best friendships I will ever have in my life and I still treasure those friendships to this day. If I needed a good friend to laugh with (or cry with), all I had to do was walk down the hall.

Because the four years I spent as a Cyclone helped shape my character and build my faith.

So, win or lose, rain or shine, good season or bad. This is why I'm a Cyclone.

5 comments:

Kiley said...

Awww...so beautimous.

Tara said...

This is great..and so true!

slbetts@netins.net said...

What a cool essay about your loyalty and memories! Suzette

Dawn said...

I am one of your biggest fans, and I love this entry.

lesa said...

ooooh! you have nailed it! also the reason I stay a cyclone fan in hawkeye country. :) (and I agree, Kiley...it is beautimous)