Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving

Thursday (Thanksgiving Day)

We went to the Bentzinger home (my parents) for lunch. Yummy. All the usual, Turkey, Ham, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy, Green Bean Casserole, rolls, etc. My mom bought two pies from the Schwanns man for dessert! And I made a double layer pumpkin pie that didn't look so good (everyone called it "cow pie") but it must have tasted ok b/c everyone ate it. We put the kids down for naps after lunch, my sister and I brought back the Skip-Bo tradition while everyone else took a nap. (when I was pregnant with Clae I spend a lot of time at my parents because Kirby was in Branson and Carly and I played Skip-Bo constantly. We got to a point where we were SO sick of it we quit playing but two years have gone by, so we were ready to play again. It had been so long since we had played we had to google the directions to remember how to play!)

We went to the Cass home (Kirby"s parents) for dinner. Yummy again. Jeffrey smoked a turkey, twice baked potatoes, strawberry pretzel salad, homemade amish rolls, etc. And pies, pies, pies, my MIL is a great pie maker. After dinner activites at the Cass's usually consist of crowd control with 6 kids 4 and under there isn't much else you can do. We ended up staying until 9:30 b/c our kids were being so good. This is rare, usually after a long day like that they would be melting down but they were great the whole day. What a blessing!


Friday

My sisters in law came over and we had a baking day. We made casseroles and candy. We ended up with lasagna, meatballs, scallopped potatoes, almond bark pretzels, peanut clusters and mint oreo truffles. We've never done anything like that before, just the three of us with no kids. It was a lot of fun.

Saturday

Kirby's and my 6th Anniversary. We took the kids to Carly and Brandon's in the morning and went to Iowa City to Christmas shop. We got most of our shopping done and it was somewhat relaxing since we didn't have the kids. We went out to eat at Chili's for our "romantic" anniversary dinner and were home to get the kids by 8:00. The kids did great at Brandon and Carly's. At one point during the day Car sent me a text to tell me they had made a tent in the living room and Brandon and Clae were sleeping in it. They were pretty clingy when we picked them up. I was putting Clae's pjs on when we got home and he was kind of crying. I said "why are you upset?" he said, "I'm upset pecause DON'T GO." It was a little delayed reaction to the fact that we left him all day.

Sunday

Thanksgiving dinner at the Moyer's (my mom's parents). More FOOD of course. We really don't see that side of the family much anymore. We used to see them a lot but now it's only 3 or 4 times a year, so it was nice to catch up with them. Two of my cousins who are in high school brought their girlfriends for the first time. It was fun to meet them, even though I feel like my cousins should still be WAY to young to have girlfriends, but they're not. I'm just getting old way faster than I realize!

Now it's on to Christmas...

No comments: