Saturday, January 28, 2012

Bedroom Makeover

As a birthday present to myself I gave our bedroom a makeover! I had saved some babysitting money and my parents gave me money for my birthday, and it was way past due for a facelift. We really didn't have the resources to do much to it when we were finishing the house so we just put our old stuff back when we moved back in. I've never really liked the comforter and bedskirt and we had nothing on the walls, but we had to make due with what we had for a while.

I got a new comforter set which ended up being really dark once it was on the bed, so I added the throw, and pillows to lighten it up a little. An ottoman to go at the foot of the bed and some wall hangings. We did get new nightstands (which you can't see in any of the pictures) when we moved back in, we had been using tv trays, can you say dorm room??? I'll still add some decorations as I find things I like, but it's much better for now. And I really want to get new sheets, but dang, king size bedding is expensive! Which leads me to the story of how we got our bed in the first place...

We had a full size bed for the first 5 years of our marriage. It was my old college mattress, it sunk down in the middle, it made our backs sore, we hated it. I survived through my pregnancy with Clae sleeping in that thing and vowed that I would NOT go through another pregnancy in that bed, well I ended up making it through my pregnancy with Lydia in it too (it actually wasn't as bad). But I just kept wondering how we were ever going to be able to afford a new bed, I thought about it every morning when I got up, to the point that I would drive myself crazy about it. One morning I prayed, "Lord, I am done worrying about this bed, I pray that you would provide one for us in Your perfect timing." And I was DONE with the bed thing, for all I knew we would have that bed for the rest of our lives.

Later that day, I am not kidding, the SAME day, my pastor's wife called and asked me "do you guys need a king size bed?" "Uh, yah," I told her. She knew someone who was getting a new bed and had a two year old king size Serta mattress and box spring and frame she wanted to get rid of. She didn't want any money for it, she just wanted someone to take if off of her hands to make room for her new bed. All we had to do was go get it. So we called her and arranged a time to pick it up. She even ended up giving me a set of sheets, so I didn't have to buy any. And I still had a king comforter and bedskirt (the ugly but useful ones) that used to be my mom's that I was holding onto just in case. So we ended up paying ZERO dollars, ZERO, for a king size bed that we absolutely LOVE. We have since gotten a memory foam pad to go on it, and I bought a pair of flannel sheets for $14.99. But that is all the money we put into it until now.

There is not a night we get into our bed that I am not so grateful for the blessing that God provided for us. And now it looks pretty too!



1 comment:

Kiley said...

O'Hiles I lof this story!